Single mom childbirth tips: Finding support

Pregnancy support system

If you are a pregnant single mom preparing for childbirth, it is important you have a support system when it is time to deliver baby. Having a baby is an exciting time, but the delivery can be a little intimidating to go through alone. Single moms share their tips on finding support when you need it the most.
Worried Pregnant Woman
When Desiree, a Las Vegas, Nevada, mom, was just a few weeks pregnant, her partner walked out on her. "He looked at me two weeks after being excited that I was pregnant and said "I've changed my mind, I'll pay for you to have an abortion. I'm not ready to have a baby." Here I am, 30 years old, making over 40k a year in a great career, pregnant by a man I had known for 10 years. Having an abortion was not an option for me. If he wasn't going to be involved I was bound determined to do it on my own," Desiree said.



She has, and credits her mom being nearby with helping to provide emotional support during pregnancy and birth.



Desiree isn't alone. Many moms go it alone for delivery - whether by choice or not. If you are taking that route, read on for helpful advice on how you don't really have to be alone.



Get support
Having support, and especially someone to advocate for you during birth is essential. However, when a mom is going it alone, it may not be so clear cut who that support should be. Doulas, which are trained support people are equally helpful to moms with and without their partners at birth.



"If a mom is planning a hospital birth, the best support person for a single mom would be to hire a professional labor support person (a birth doula) for the delivery and also, a post-partum doula for after the baby to help at home," says Renee Sicignano, a Certified Professional Midwife and Lactation Consultant in Los Angeles, who works at Gentle Beginnings Birth Service. "Having a birth doula and/or midwife will help tremendously in alleviating the stress associated with labor."

Find out where to look and how to find an experienced doula here.



But a doula isn't the only way to go. Some moms, like communications strategist Tamar Abrams, surround themselves with friends and family to welcome their child."I chose a team. Why limit yourself to just one coach if you don’t have to? I had a primary coach who went to the birthing classes with me and five others who were with me at various times during labor. They even had 'Team Abrams' t-shirts made up," Abrams said.